This large hanging panel, based on a corrugated cardboard background was one of the hardest to part with when I had to send the samples off to Leandra!
I stamped this magnificent image in Black Archival onto Smoothy Stamping Card, and clear-embossed it with some detail embossing powder. This makes it much easier to "stay within the lines" when painting, but also gives a slight sense of dimension for the look of leaded windows. I think you can see the embossing at the top of this photo.
I had a really wonderful time using translucent Fresco paints to colour the image, amongst them the fabulous new blues - Glass Blue, Blueberry and Southern Skies.
The red tones were built up with layers of Claret, Blood Orange and London Bus. As I painted, I kept everything very soft and watery, to allow the colours to blend and to keep their full translucence, capturing the light.
I just love this image of the saint, with the circle of the halo echoing the headpiece of the main woman.
My greens were my usual go-tos, Hey Pesto and Limelight. They've been given a whole new lease of life in terms of the shades you can create by mixing them with the new blues. And the Blueberry was brilliant to create the mysterious stone arches.
I used Blush (again with plenty of water as it's an opaque) for the basic skintone, and added shadings of the reds as well as some Autumn Fire if memory serves.
I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the whole image to create a slightly dimensional surface, similar to real glass, I hope. The gloss coat also refracts light in a different way, helping the colours to stay really intense and bold.
For the metallic embellishments, I used the new blue Frescos again, just to add a hint of colour.
And I dug out the shimmery shiny gems hiding deep in the stash - not something I use very often! - and added them to the mix. I used Red Pepper alcohol ink to add colour to some of them.
The dragonfly used to be a sort of pinky purple colour!
The little tiny gems, removed painstakingly one by one from a more ornate embellishment, wanted to stay clear.
The background is really pretty simple. I used the leftover blues on my craft mat to create a blended wash on another sheet of Smoothy Stamping Card, and then layered a panel of that with book pages leftover from my candle book.
Some of the pages have been soaked in tea/coffee and some are naked, which I think provides a nice variation in colour.
The ChitChat stickers provide the words - a minimal element on this particular project, but still important.
So there's the first of the PaperArtsy samples given a bit more room to breathe.
Since I no longer have the actual pieces, it's nice to have a proper record of them here at Words and Pictures, so there will be some more of these posts along soon!
Thanks so much for taking the time to drop in, and I'll see you soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.
Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.
I dwell in possibility...